[GNC] My experience importing 19 years of Quicken data into GnuCash

GWB gwb at 2realms.com
Sat Apr 6 17:16:25 EDT 2019

Haven't tested this with the SQLite GnuCash backend, but it is
sometimes possible with PostgreSQL to "roll back" to an earlier state
before the last transactions, or for that matter, any arbitrary number
of transactions before the last one.  I haven't used the PostgreSQL
backend with GnuCash for some time now, since the SQLite format works
extremely well.  But having multiple formats (xml files and sql
databases) was one reason I moved from various other finance programs
(which shall not be named).  SQL Ledger is a financial server-client
model that allows this.

Unless you are willing to spend some time learning various sql query
and dbase commands and functions, I would stick with SQLite and make
snapshots (if your file system allows it) or frequent backups.  And
there is still nothing wrong with the .xml file format that I can see.
I would not suggest the developers try to incorporate some kind of
multiple "undo" within the GnuCash menu (there is already a "replay"
feature, I think, with the .xml file), unless they have lots of spare
time (also not likely!).  But maybe if someone has already had some
success with "rolling back" the SQLite gnucash file to an earlier
state (using command line sql functions and commands?) they could put
it on the wiki.

Keeping changes in memory until commit ("save") works great on most
machines (i.e., the xml file format).  I worry about core dumps and
crashes on linux (less so FreeBSD) so I like various types of sql
backends, but my guess is that most Windows and Mac users (the
majority of gnucash users?) are only rarely affected by crashes.

Gordon