[GNC] My experience importing 19 years of Quicken data into GnuCash

Cricket Onebit cricketbeautiful at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 14:19:09 EDT 2019

That makes sense.

I know with some versions of SQL, you can roll-back. I suspect that each of
the three versions GNUCash supports does it differently, sigh. If I do use
SQL, I'll treat it like my novel. Dated daily backups, and add good title
and change log when I make major changes. Not that I ever regret major
changes.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 at 15:23, no_more_quicken <nospam at peterskim.com> wrote:

> Cricket Onebit wrote
> > Can you explain more about not being able to undo things with the SQL
> > backend vs XML (or point to more details)? I'm undecided about which
> > backend. Fully-functional and easy to install and maintain is more
> > important to me than a few seconds while using, unless those seconds add
> > up
> > quickly. I want to do my accounting, not trouble-shoot the installation.
>
> With the XML backend, any modifications are kept in memory until you
> explicitly save the changes.  (You can also setup GnuCash to auto-save at
> set intervals.) So if you make a major/destructive goof while editing
> transactions, you can always just not save and get back to your last saved
> state.  With a SQL backend, modifications are committed immediately to the
> database, so there is no way to go back.  That said, converting from one
> format to another is trivially easy and doable at any time, so it's not
> necessarily a big decision you have to make a priori.
>

> --

+++

Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, not as a witness to any creed,
But simple service simply given to his own kind in their common need.
-- Rudyard Kipling