[GNC] My experience importing 19 years of Quicken data into GnuCash

no_more_quicken nospam at peterskim.com
Tue Apr 2 15:20:11 EDT 2019

Cricket Onebit wrote
> Can you explain more about not being able to undo things with the SQL
> backend vs XML (or point to more details)? I'm undecided about which
> backend. Fully-functional and easy to install and maintain is more
> important to me than a few seconds while using, unless those seconds add
> up
> quickly. I want to do my accounting, not trouble-shoot the installation.

With the XML backend, any modifications are kept in memory until you
explicitly save the changes.  (You can also setup GnuCash to auto-save at
set intervals.) So if you make a major/destructive goof while editing
transactions, you can always just not save and get back to your last saved
state.  With a SQL backend, modifications are committed immediately to the
database, so there is no way to go back.  That said, converting from one
format to another is trivially easy and doable at any time, so it's not
necessarily a big decision you have to make a priori.