[GNC] How to treat benefit payments from government?

gn00b leo57yeung at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 17 17:37:47 EDT 2019

When I file my 2019 personal income tax for income earned in 2018, the
government will send me a monthly cheque based on my 2018 income. What
should the credit side of the journal entry look like when I initially
record this? Should I be treating this as income? I know I should Debit
Benefit Receivable for the amount. When the government pays me, I know I
would Debit Bank, Credit Benefit Receivable.

If anyone is from Canada, this is referring to the Ontario Trillium Benefit
and the GST/HST Credit.