[GNC] Zelle

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Apr 17 18:14:02 EDT 2019

Khristine,

If you are sharing expenses, say you fronted the cash and they are paying you back their portion, then you would not record that as income, and you also wouldn’t have recorded the original full amount as your expenditure.

You’re merely facilitating payment for someone else.

I have a handful of asset accounts set up for this purpose when my siblings and I split holiday and birthday gifts for our parents. I only expense my portion and the rest goes to these asset accounts (as money they owe me), which is then paid back by my siblings later.

If that is similar to what you are doing and need help with those transactions, let us know.

If they are just sending you money to be nice, that is a gift. Track that in an Income:Gifts Received account. Taxability will depend on laws in your jurisdiction, but many offer a threshold before you have to report them, so it is a good idea to keep them separate.

Regards,
Adrien