[GNC] Need help with a Savings account

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Apr 17 23:00:21 EDT 2019

Colin,

I agree, most people are coming from a place of hearing those terms from the institution’s perspective, which confuses many at first.

And I also agree that the GnuCash defaults of informal labels and Basic View are much simpler to comprehend.

However, once someone encounters a situation where they don’t understand ’transfer’ account or the nature of double-entry, problems arise.

They arise because by default, GnuCash is hiding the double-entry nature of the system from them. (something of a contra-selling point when comparing GC to proprietary systems that do the same thing, very strange it is the GC default)

So, perhaps I am mistaken here, but my usual approach is to advise people to delve into double-entry to understand it. Because once you understand it, the rest of GC and accounting make so much more sense. (personally, I find this a much stronger selling point for GC)

As part of this, I offer the suggestion to turn on either Auto-Split or Transaction Journal view so the user can see the entire transaction with nothing hidden. The problem with this suggestion is now, in the case of a credit card account, the user sees:

Date	Description	Account				Payment		Charge
-----	-----		-----				-----		-----
4/1/19	Wal-Mart
			Expenses:Clothes		$100
			Liabilities:Credit Card				$100

Of course, this results in mind-mush and brain-explosions, because they didn’t make a payment on their card for Expenses:Clothes, they charged it. To them, this transaction hasn’t anything to do with payments on the card. (and try explaining why every payment on their card account involves a ‘charge’ as well!)

This is either a shortcoming, or bug in the informal label implementation.

So, heading off this confusion, I suggest to also turn on formal accounting labels so one always sees ‘debit/credit’ and then proceed to explain what these mean.

While the learning curve might seem steeper at first, I think the end result is better understanding and ability to use GnuCash.

If GnuCash auto-switched to formal labels when expanding a transaction to show splits, that might suffice, but it might also introduce confusion since the user would not be warned that column headers would change.

The use of ‘payment’ or ‘charge’ as a balancing column header where no payment or charge is involved is non-sensical in this context. (same applies to other informal label contexts)

Recent threads showcase this exact scenario — a user didn’t understand what GnuCash was doing, (and perhaps to my lesser judgement) I recommended turning on BOTH Transaction Journal View and Formal Accounting Labels. Unfortunately, only the first was initially accomplished and many list exchanges and confusion ensued. Once both changes were made, things improved. (with, it seems, still room for better understanding)

Maybe I’m missing something from a long ago thread where this was discussed as a design decision. And admittedly, the case doesn’t come up often enough to warrant a change in the defaults.

But I do see room for improvement for comprehension, though I’m not sure what form it should take, if simply to continue to be addressed on a case-by-case basis when a user reaches that stage. Maybe this is something for the wiki?

Maybe there is a better way to explain what GnuCash is doing without resorting to an explanation of double-entry, debits/credits, without seeing the whole transaction, etc. I’m all for a simple path to the ‘right answer’ or at least the ‘most correct answer for right now’ even if it isn’t the ‘most complete answer’.

I guess I just don’t see how to explain what is going on, without explaining what is going on. (I’m not talking about backend details of the code of course, just the basic accounting principles being implemented)

Maybe “I” need to read the docs more often? Perhaps they are doing the job already and a simple, but polite version of RT(f)M (even for myself) would suffice?

Regards,
Adrien