[GNC] Need help with a Savings account

AC gnucash at acarver.net
Thu Apr 18 00:18:01 EDT 2019

On 2019-04-17 20:00, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> And I also agree that the GnuCash defaults of informal labels and Basic View are much simpler to comprehend.
>
> However, once someone encounters a situation where they don’t understand ’transfer’ account or the nature of double-entry, problems arise.
>
> They arise because by default, GnuCash is hiding the double-entry nature of the system from them. (something of a contra-selling point when comparing GC to proprietary systems that do the same thing, very strange it is the GC default)

How is it that using the "informal" labels (not the accounting labels)
is hiding the double-entry process?  It's fairly formal in everyday use
that people understand and flows from natural language pretty easily.  I
"withdraw" money from my bank and use it to make a "payment" to my
credit card.  I "charge" my card when I go buy gasoline which is an
"expense". The double entry is there, it's not hidden at all.

All of my banks (three) don't even use formal labels for the statements.
 They all write "Deposits" and "Withdrawls" right at the top of the
transaction logs.  The credit cards I have (six) all write "Charges" and
"Payments" on the statements.