[GNC] Return of Capital

cicko alen.siljak at gmx.com
Fri Apr 19 01:24:33 EDT 2019

Adrien Monteleone-2 wrote
> Interesting that GC is throwing that Trading split in at all. The
> transaction balances without it. I’ll presume this brokerage account for
> the fund and the cash are both in AUD also?

Correct. My case is in AUD even though the example which suggests how to
post such transaction, in the first post, is in USD.

Adrien Monteleone-2 wrote
> Does manually adding:
>
> Dr.(buy) Trading:CURRENCY:AUD	$500
>
> Satisfy GC and avoid the pop-up?
> The two Trading splits would be superfluous but they should then balance.

That's an interesting suggestion! And it should work, theoretically.
:(
https://imgur.com/VbDrPKU

Unfortunately, GC inserts *another* trading record for $10. And also $10
Imbalance-AUD, to balance that, I guess.
And, when trying to post the transaction, it tells me that the transaction
does not balance and offers the same dialog with "balance manually" and "let
GC add the adjusting split".

Adrien Monteleone-2 wrote
> If you let GC balance it, what does it insert?

If I do the initial entry of (names adjusted for simplicity):

2019-04-01 * Return of capital
   Assets:Investments:Broker:Cash             500.00 AUD
   Assets:Investments:Broker:Shares:IPE    100 IPE { 5.00 USD} [2000-01-01]
@ 5.00 AUD
   Assets:Investments:Broker:Shares:IPE   -100 IPE {10.00 USD} [2000-01-01]
@ 5.00 AUD

https://imgur.com/i0CbKUq

then it will add the Trading:CURRENCY:AUD record: https://imgur.com/NzAFZLC
and, when trying to post, show the dialog dialog: https://imgur.com/bk8a9zb.

No matter which option is selected, nothing will change, and I can't
proceed.
If I add another balancing split for trading account, as suggested earlier,
the same dialog appears and the transaction can't get saved.

Adrien Monteleone-2 wrote
> Is that ANZ Cash account something special or just a cash type asset in
> AUD? (effectively no different than Assets:Cash?)

The names can get mixed as the sample had generic names and USD currency
whereas my screenshots and examples may use real names (ANZ broker). ANZ
Cash is just the actual cash account with the broker, nothing special. Cash
& ANZ Cash are just used intermittently. There are only two accounts in the
scenario - commodity (share/fund) and cash.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm suspecting something may not be right at
this stage but would like to confirm before filing a bug.
Cheers!