[GNC] Return of Capital

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Apr 19 03:06:03 EDT 2019

> On Apr 19, 2019, at 12:24 AM, cicko <alen.siljak at gmx.com> wrote:
>
> Adrien Monteleone-2 wrote
>> Interesting that GC is throwing that Trading split in at all. The
>> transaction balances without it. I’ll presume this brokerage account for
>> the fund and the cash are both in AUD also?
>
> Correct. My case is in AUD even though the example which suggests how to
> post such transaction, in the first post, is in USD.
>

> Adrien Monteleone-2 wrote
>> Does manually adding:
>>
>> Dr.(buy) Trading:CURRENCY:AUD	$500
>>
>> Satisfy GC and avoid the pop-up?
>> The two Trading splits would be superfluous but they should then balance.
>
> That's an interesting suggestion! And it should work, theoretically.
> :(
> https://imgur.com/VbDrPKU
>
> Unfortunately, GC inserts *another* trading record for $10. And also $10
> Imbalance-AUD, to balance that, I guess.
> And, when trying to post the transaction, it tells me that the transaction
> does not balance and offers the same dialog with "balance manually" and "let
> GC add the adjusting split”.

But this looks like an entirely different transaction.

What happens if you try to manually balance the one you outline below? (the 100 shares ea. @ $5/$10, $500 transaction)
What does GC insert if you let it do it automatically?

Two more things to try,

#1 - choose manual editing in that pop-up and this time, instead of adding a balancing split, delete the Trading:Currency split, since the transaction should balance without it. Does GC accept this or does it add it back?

#2 - (working on a backup file) turn off trading accounts and see what happens when you try to enter this transaction fresh.

It looks like a loop here where it never balances. If this really does get stuck in such a loop, then certainly there is a bug. You should either be able to balance manually, or GC should be able to do it, not just get stuck in an infinite (or at least several repetitions of a) reduction loop.

While actual transaction pricing should be inserted into the price DB, out of curiosity, is there a price on this date? Is GC inserting either the $5 or $10 price on this date as well? Is there some sort of multiple price insertion loop happening there?

> Adrien Monteleone-2 wrote
>> If you let GC balance it, what does it insert?
>
> If I do the initial entry of (names adjusted for simplicity):
>
> 2019-04-01 * Return of capital
>   Assets:Investments:Broker:Cash             500.00 AUD
>   Assets:Investments:Broker:Shares:IPE    100 IPE { 5.00 USD} [2000-01-01]
> @ 5.00 AUD
>   Assets:Investments:Broker:Shares:IPE   -100 IPE {10.00 USD} [2000-01-01]
> @ 5.00 AUD
>
> https://imgur.com/i0CbKUq
>
> then it will add the Trading:CURRENCY:AUD record: https://imgur.com/NzAFZLC
> and, when trying to post, show the dialog dialog: https://imgur.com/bk8a9zb.
>
> No matter which option is selected, nothing will change, and I can't
> proceed.
> If I add another balancing split for trading account, as suggested earlier,
> the same dialog appears and the transaction can't get saved.
>

> Adrien Monteleone-2 wrote
>> Is that ANZ Cash account something special or just a cash type asset in
>> AUD? (effectively no different than Assets:Cash?)
>
> The names can get mixed as the sample had generic names and USD currency
> whereas my screenshots and examples may use real names (ANZ broker). ANZ
> Cash is just the actual cash account with the broker, nothing special. Cash
> & ANZ Cash are just used intermittently. There are only two accounts in the
> scenario - commodity (share/fund) and cash.

Understood, I just wanted to clear up if it was a special account type or just a standard asset.

Regards,
Adrien