[GNC] Return of Capital

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Apr 19 22:55:54 EDT 2019

> On Apr 19, 2019, at 2:34 PM, cicko <alen.siljak at gmx.com> wrote:
>
> John Ralls-2 wrote
>> IIUC the transaction that you're creating is between IPE and AUD. That
>> will cause trading account splits as they operate between any differing
>> commodity pair, not just between currencies.
>
> Right, that's what I would expect.
>

> John Ralls-2 wrote
>> The example doesn't show shares or price columns. ... If it's still
>> confusing post the whole transaction showing all 4 columns (i.e. shares,
>> price, debit, and credit) and all splits including the trading account
>> ones.
>
> Hm, not sure which example you saw but on these screenshots there are 4
> columns. The additional two, with totals, are blank as the transaction is
> not yet posted.
> I'm using Auto-Split view.
>
> My entry, before trying to save: https://imgur.com/i0CbKUq
> The price is a bit skewed but it is $10 for Sell and $5 for Buy split. The
> transaction seems to balance.
>
> Trying to save by pressing enter, the Trading split gets inserted (only 1!):
> https://imgur.com/NzAFZLC
> And from there, the dialog keeps popping up: https://imgur.com/bk8a9zb
>
> The records for the IPE trading accounts are missing, correct. This is a
> good hint. I'd prefer to avoid them, as the balance stays the same but -
> adding the two Trading:ASX:IPE records balances and the transaction is
> saved.
> Thanks!
>
> Here is the end-result: https://imgur.com/aOIxLxM
>
> Your example is difficult to follow in text mode but the screenshot above
> should balance, as far as I can say.

Alen,

Sorry, I missed the imgur links when I went back to your previous post and saw only the text part.

Part of the problem is that you were entering the sale at a price of 0 but with an amount of 100 shares and a value of A$1000. In basic view GnuCash will put up a dialog asking whether you want it to change the amount, value, or price to make sense of it. Split view won't do that. That was probably also what was suppressing generating the trading account splits.

That's an interesting way of handling an RoC. The only downside for those of us with different tax rates depending on how long we hold an investment is that it resets the purchase date, and if we're not paying attention might make one think at tax time that the $500 RoC was really a capital gain.

Regards,
John Ralls