[GNC] OFX Import add Memo to transaction

Jeff Albrecht jeffa at rodaw.com
Wed Apr 24 16:24:29 EDT 2019

I'm using GNUCash on Windows 10 using version 3.5.1 upgraded from 2.6.19.

As I import a .OFX file from my bank or credit card and match/enter/edit
with the 'Generic import transaction matcher' I sit with my Ebay and
PayPal accounts open in browser tabs to lookup transactions to be sure I
categorize them to my liking. There is information important to me that
I want to add as a memo in each of the transactions. Sometimes I try to
modify the transaction after I enter / classify it into the correct
'category' entering a memo however I generally get message something to
the effect of 'transaction is open in another window, please close or
finish that edit' I'm assuming the message is referring to the 'Generic
import transaction matcher' window, other times I get a message about
the transaction being out of balance after I've added a memo - usually
the former about the record being open in another window.

Is there a way to add a memo during the import process?

If not It's a feature I'd very much like to see. I imagine that once I
select the account for the match it could open up in a 'transaction
journal' view allowing me to enter a memo and clicking a O.K. accept
button. The 'transaction journal' view could be displayed in the
'Generic import transaction matcher' for items that have been matched. A
check box could enable (or disable) this behavior in the 'Generic import
transaction matcher' screen. And / or as a preferences selection.

  - Jeff