[GNC] OFX Import add Memo to transaction

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Fri Apr 26 06:22:38 EDT 2019

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 13:24:29 -0700
Jeff Albrecht <jeffa at rodaw.com> wrote:

> I'm using GNUCash on Windows 10 using version 3.5.1 upgraded from
> 2.6.19.
>
> As I import a .OFX file from my bank or credit card and
> match/enter/edit with the 'Generic import transaction matcher' I sit
> with my Ebay and PayPal accounts open in browser tabs to lookup
> transactions to be sure I categorize them to my liking. There is
> information important to me that I want to add as a memo in each of
> the transactions. Sometimes I try to modify the transaction after I
> enter / classify it into the correct 'category' entering a memo
> however I generally get message something to the effect of
> 'transaction is open in another window, please close or finish that
> edit' I'm assuming the message is referring to the 'Generic import
> transaction matcher' window, other times I get a message about the
> transaction being out of balance after I've added a memo - usually
> the former about the record being open in another window.
>
> Is there a way to add a memo during the import process?
>
> If not It's a feature I'd very much like to see. I imagine that once
> I select the account for the match it could open up in a 'transaction
> journal' view allowing me to enter a memo and clicking a O.K. accept
> button. The 'transaction journal' view could be displayed in the
> 'Generic import transaction matcher' for items that have been
> matched. A check box could enable (or disable) this behavior in the
> 'Generic import transaction matcher' screen. And / or as a
> preferences selection.
>
>   - Jeff

To help us understand, we need some more information about your work
flow.
Do you enter transactions into Gnucash one by one, and then run the
import looking for ones you have missed (or could be fraudulent) OR do
you use the OFX file to populate your Gnucash ledger?

If you do enter one by one you can of course put the memo in at that
stage. The importer will find the transaction as a possible match, and
you will tell it NOT to amend the matched transaction.

Liz