[GNC] VAT Reporting

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 12:03:27 EDT 2019

Hi Laurel

Quarterly VAT reports are a breeze if your VAT collected/paid accounts are
set up as liability/asset accounts. Use the "Income & GST Statement" report
present in version 3.0 and above, select income & expense accounts and your
VAT accounts.

You'll probably wish to select 'start of last quarter' to 'end of last
quarter' in the date filter. Each transaction found is analysed; the
sales&purchases, and the VAT parts are pulled out, and reported and summed
- either into each account, or per amount type
(sales/purchase/vat-sales/vat-purchases). To that matter, if you have EC
sales you'll need separate EC VAT liability accounts which can be reported
separately.

MTD is another issue altogether and there is no inbuilt solution. Unless
someone creates a built-in MTD bridge, your best bet for now is to find a
suitable HMRC VAT bridging software, and plug the amounts obtained above.

Good luck, ask any questions!