[GNC] Downloading stock prices in the UK

Eric Coates eric.coates at sky.com
Thu Apr 25 17:22:21 EDT 2019

Alan

Before commenting about the failure of Get Online Quotes to get anything
useful a small amplification of Fred Bone's comment that *Type* can be
anything you want (Fred has given his choice, I use a different set -
LSE for London quoted shares, EUREX for shares quoted on continental
European bourses, Fund for unit trusts - use whatever works for you ) so
can the *F**ull Name* - for example you could use SSE or Scottish and
Southern Electricity or even its full formal name SSE Plc Ord 50p.

As for why you're not getting even one quote ...

You've obviously got an internet connection and you're?? ticking the *Get
Online Quotes* box and (I assume) you've updated the AphaVantage.pm file
so I'm close to the edge of my knowledge.

On the basis of those assumptions, I'd try something a little "left
field". Safeguard your data and try changing the source of quotes to
*Single - Yahoo as JSON*. As I said earlier Yahoo is seen as reliable (I
use it for my European shares) but I'd expect you to get a price that
will be 100 times too big (just try one share then if you're
brave/foolhardy enough to risk your live data it's easy to delete the
wrong value). The result of this experiment may (just may) give us
something to get our teeth into. And when I say "us"/"our" I mean the
community at large - as I said I'm staring into the dark.

Best wishes

Eric

PS: But there's a small niggle that I've just noticed: I've just
upgraded my operating system and got an upgraded gnuCash as a bonus (I'm
now running gnuCash 3.4 with Finance::Quote 1.47 on Ubuntu 19.04 all of
which, I believe, are the most up-to-date versions). In the Edit
Security window what used to appear as *AlphaVantage* in the *Unknown*
category now appears as *Alphavantage, US* under *Single*. Even though
the name has changed Alphavantage, US gives me legitimate values for UK
shares. Did the US put you off? It seems unlikely.