[GNC] GNU Cash End of Year Closing of Accounts

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Fri Apr 26 10:21:00 EDT 2019

On 4/25/2019 5:54 PM, Stephen Brandt wrote:
> I am looking for a way to archive out all transactions for the Year
> ending XXXX.  I would like to remove all transactions from all accounts
> and start the new year with the ending balance from the previous year.
> To view prior years I'd like to be able to select the archive file for
> the appropriate year.
>
> This would free up lots of memory and make it less cumbersome to find
> the beginning of the current year and not have to scroll down through
> prior years data to find the beginning of the current year.
>
> I hope this makes sense to you. If I understood the programming
> language, I'd do it myself and submit the update to the appropriate
> location so everyone could take advantage of the update.
>
> Thank you for your understanding of the problem.
This is not a "programming" issue. It is a "work flow" issue.

a) This is what used to happen back in the old days of pen and ink on
paper bookkeeping in bound volumes ruled for accounting. At the end of
each accounting period the books were closed (a process) and a new set
of physical books begun using the closing Balance Sheet.

b) Nothing prevents you from mirroring this process using existing
gnucash. You do a close the books. You run the post closing Balance
Sheet. You export the CoA and import into a new file (empty set of
books). You use the Balance Sheet to create the opening entries << one
giant split both sides transaction or easier/safer, two transactions
each split on just one side >>

Michael D Novack