[GNC] OFX Import add Memo to transaction

Jeff Albrecht jeffa at rodaw.com
Fri Apr 26 13:39:12 EDT 2019

Groovy, boss and kean -or- OMG, snap and Shredding. Plus red face and a
little embarrassment. But I didn't realize and it never occurred to me
that my vendors / sellers had report exports!

Amazon has CSV export as well as a much more useful on screen report
than looking through the online 'your orders' section. Which doesn't
have a total of all items and shipping.

eBay doesn't have a purchase export, and their 'MyEbay->Purchase
history' has an order total, but it doesn't reflect shipping charges! It
makes it difficult to simply ^F search on a bank transaction amount to
find the matching seller transaction.

PayPal has a transaction export. In fact you can export .QIF from
PayPal. Dare I try an import from my primary PayPal bank and Paypal.
This report does have Transaction total including the shipping.

I'll have to experiment with that in the GNUCash 'Generic import
transaction matcher' after I accrue some new transactions.

With these reports quit a bit of frustration and time sink will be
removed from my GNUCash import work flow!

Some icing on this workflow would be a simple filter input box at the
top of the COA account selector in the 'Generic import transaction
matcher' such that I can filter all those accounts to those that contain
a string say gas, fuel, netflix, dining, clothing etc... It sure would
make the matching account selection a lot easier, faster and error prone.

On the GNUCash user voice this sounds a bit similar to my 'icing'
https://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-request/suggestions/1589607-type-ahead-search-when-entering-the-accounts-to-a
but rather than a type ahead match a straight filter on search of any
COA account that matches any part of the account name on that filter
string.

If others think this 'icing' suggestion worthy I'll add it to the user
voice. I did spend some time searching to see if this request was
already there. Looks like there are 351 feature requests.
<https://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-request/suggestions/1589607-type-ahead-search-when-entering-the-accounts-to-a>
  - Jeff