[GNC] Changing account tree on large database

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 19:18:12 EDT 2019

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 4:53 PM David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Strongly consider only moving one or two years data to GnuCash.

I agree. I found that I could import a lot more, but I found I was going
crazy trying to make everything look right, which ultimately seemed
pointless for things like long-ago closed bank accounts etc.

Since I had been using Quicken since the 1990s I had a number of
"historical" transactions I MIGHT conceivably want to look up, so I
exported those and kept the (enormous) QIF files. Any time I want to find a
transaction I can just do a few searches through the QIF file and find the
transaction date and the amount. If I really really want to, I COULD create
a "historical" GnuCash book with the imported data and just ignore the odd
balances etc.

(I'm looking through my data and found that I kept a complete QIF I
exported in 2000, and then another one I exported in 2007. I believe 2007
is when I gave up on Quicken for good, so my original GnuCash-only data was
based upon 2006 and 2007 transactions only.)