[GNC] Quicken import and duplicate records

Priit Lilleleht Priit.Lilleleht at eesti.ee
Sat Apr 27 09:43:40 EDT 2019

Greetings, dear GnuCash gurus! :)

I wonder if there is an answer to my problem with Quicken data import? I
have used Quicken 2000 Home & Business since year 2000 but recently I
discovered GnuCash as a cute and at the same time much more serious
alternative to this old Quicken ("serious" meaning more close to the
professional bookkeeping). So I tried to import all my Quicken history to
Gnucash and it was generally a success except for the duplicate entries
which are created when there is a transfer from one account to another in
Quicken. Instead on one transaction there are 2 created in GnuCash and they
both are changing the balance. Here is one example:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ID-DxZTcPN8sy9QADt9sSG4PCRquBd5T/view

I suspect that when Quicken recorded this transfer then one record has flag
(Num) TXFR and the other has not, and GnuCash import treats them as
different transactions and creates a matching record for both of them. Also
Quicken has a possibility that when a transfer record is created then
afterwards you can add memo to the record of one account and this is
probably also treated as 2 different transactions in GnuCash when the memo
fields do not match. I have also many of those kind of records and they all
are imported as duplicates.

Maybe this is only the problem with old Quicken versions and the newer ones
do keep the transfer records matching. GnuCash is version 3.4.

Has anyone seen this kind of trouble before and are there any solutions?

Thank You in Advance,
Priit Lilleleht

Manuste ala