[GNC] Error Retrieving Quotes

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Apr 28 11:15:41 EDT 2019

> On Apr 28, 2019, at 6:18 AM, Sachin Danave <sachin.danave at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry to raise an old topic, but I do hope I can get some help.
>
> I am from India and I have setup stock accounts for various stocks that I
> hold and which are traded on National Stock Exchange in India. I have
> installed the relevant pre-requisites including Perl on my Windows 10
> machine.
>
> In the Security Editor, I have set up a stock (e.g. HDFC Bank Limited -
> HDFCBANK.NS) with the correct ticker symbol on Yahoo Finance. I used the
> various Online Quotes options :
> a) Single - Yahoo as JSON or Yahoo as YQL
> b) Unidentified - yahoo, yahoo asia etc
>
> When I try to Get Quotes, I get a message that there was an unidentified
> error while retrieving quotes.
>
> Does this even work for any of the stocks traded on Indian stock exchanges
> ? Just dont want to waste my time in something that is not available ...

All of the Yahoo! price sources except yahoo_json were discontinued some time ago when Verizon bought Yahoo!. Using one of them will cause the dreaded "unknown error", so go through all of the securities for which you have quote retrieval enabled and make sure that none of them are using any yahoo source other than yahoo_json.

I just tried
  gnc-fq-dump yahoo_json HDFCBANK.NS
and got
  Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: HDFCBANK.NS          <=== required
      date: 04/26/2019           <=== recommended
  currency: INR                  <=== required
      last: 2280.95              <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price:                      <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional
so that should work.

Regards,
John Ralls