[GNC] Dimensions in Accounts

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 06:34:47 EDT 2019

Assuming you both have individual accounts, you can already set up a
hierarchical structure with parent 'owner' (set as placeholder) with
children asset accounts 'husband' and 'wife'. If you have a joint account
then stick to 1 account for both.

The main advice we can offer is to stick to "1 GnuCash asset/liability
account = 1 Bank/Creditcard/Loan Account", which will facilitate
reconciliation, and "1 GnuCash income/expense account = 1 income/expense
*category*" where category reflects the Quicken terminology.

If you have individual accounts, you can use a symbol to tag them eg "#"
for yourself and "@" for wife, and the Transaction Report filter can be
used to select the accounts for reporting at your leisure.

So a sample chart may be:
- Asset
 - Bank
  - Husband#
  - Wife@
 - Fixed
  - House
 - Investments
  - Funds
- Liability
 - Loan
- Income
 - Husband Salary#
 - Wife Salary@
- Expense
 - Combined@#
 - Husband#
 - Wife@

Thereby filter with account filter '#' will report on all your
transactions, and @ with the wife's.