[GNC] UK VAT and "Making Tax Digital"

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Apr 30 09:37:29 EDT 2019

Hi Christopher.

Finally got round to completing my final quarter VAT return with the manual
error-prone process of typing 7 numbers into boxes on the HMRC website.

I'm now trying to make the Income & GST report give me sensible numbers that
match my existing saved transaction reports and struggling with one thing.

It may well be how I've got my tree set up that's causing my problem.  The GST
report doesn't allow to  include transactions to asset accounts.

Under UK tax law, if I buy something of lasting value, eg some machine, for
example, it is not an expense but a transfer to Asset:CapitalEquipment.   But
the VAT is claimable straight away and so the transaction (for the VAT return)
should be included in the Net Purchases & Tax on Purchases column.

any advice?

is your CSV output intending to be made from the GST report codebase in some
way?

The bridging spreadsheet I have will be quite happy to read from
~/somewhere/somefile.csv

my test file is just :
Box1,1234.56
Box2, 0.00
(box 3 is calculated from box1+box2 so not included)
Box4, 321.98
etc to include box 6,7,8,9

and the spreadsheet will read that and populate new data into the fields each
time it is run.

the only other thing that might be nice to include in the CSV output is the
date period, but I haven't tested that for format etc yet.

I'm not signed up for the -devel list, can do so if you'd prefer to keep this
off -user for now.

thanks & best regards,
Maf.

--
Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542