[GNC] locked data base

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Aug 1 15:26:39 EDT 2019

Hi,

GnuCash will re-open the last file you used.  So that's not a problem.

But yes, it sounds like this started as a backup file.  So long as you
haven't noticed any data loss, then you can go from there.  I would
recommend that you File -> Save As and then change the name to the base
name instead of xxx.gnucash.<date>.gnucash.<date>.gnucash!

You're probably fine continuing to use DropBox, but there might be locking
issues if the lock file doesn't get properly deleted when you exit the
application.  I don't use DropBox so can't really explain that any better;
maybe someone else can.

If you are SURE that you don't have the file open on multiple devices then
you're safe using Open Anyways.  However, if you're not sure, then you
need to be careful.  If two copies get opened then the "last write wins"
and will overwrite all changes made on earlier writes.

Good Luck,

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745