[GNC] Setting up a new accounting scheme in GnuCash

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Aug 9 04:40:57 EDT 2019

You can assign account numbers in GnuCash. Accounts can be parents with child (sub) accounts and those parents can also be placeholders. (you can’t put transactions in them if they are placeholders, only in the sub-accounts)

For the other question, this sounds like Equity:Retained Earnings in English. As for the ‘Balance’ (Balans) account, that is every account which is the other split(s) in every transaction —if I’m understanding you correctly.

Thus an expense of 5.00 on food would show up as:

Dr. Expenses:Food	5.00
Cr. Assets:Cash			5.00

The Cash account in this case is the one which ‘balances’ the Food expense. (Cash is presumably where the money came from to pay for the food)

If I’m misunderstanding, please clarify with an example from the other program.

Regards,
Adrien