[GNC] Setting up a new accounting scheme in GnuCash

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Aug 9 04:45:09 EDT 2019

I forgot to add that you may not ever need the Retained Earnings account.

GnuCash can calculate this figure at any time with an Income Statement (P&L) Report as ’Net Profit/Loss’

If you desire to ‘close the books’ (not necessary) then that amount will get put into a Retained Earnings account and the Income and Expense accounts all zeroed out as a result.

If you don’t close the books and want to see your Gain & Loss for a longer period, either run the Income Statement for that period, or run a Balance Sheet Report which will also show Retained Earnings/Losses under the Equity section as a calculation. (rather than reporting a figure from an actual account)

Regards,
Adrien