[GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 16:22:03 EDT 2019

Based on this discussion I decided to try the flatpak on a Ubuntu Disco
19.04 system. (The work system with my critical GnuCash data is Ubuntu
Bionic 18.04 LTS.) I haven't done any testing with real data, but I found
it easy to install. Apparently the flatpak found a GnuCash test data file
somewhere on my system.

1) I didn't need sudo to install gnucash; flatpak ran just fine as a normal
user. I'm not sure if I will run into a limitation. I tried changing a few
preferences and they seemed to persist across several launches. The version
that just installed reports as "Version: 3.6   Build ID: 3.6+(2019-06-29)"

2) When I installed, I got an error message "F: An error was encountered
searching remote ‘GnuCash_Dev’ for ‘gnucash’: Unable to load summary from
remote GnuCash_Dev: GPG signatures found, but none are in trusted keyring."

I'm not sure where it's expecting a GnuCash_Dev: GPG key. It didn't STOP me
from installing, just complained.

3) I got some sort of ldconfig error after launching the first few times.
(see below)

4) The ldconfig error disappeared after I deleted the old test data file
that was on my system and I took GnuCash through a new account creation.
The new file opens without any messages on the console.

Here are the commands I used and the terminal output:

user at host:~$ flatpak list
Description             Application   Version Branch Arch   Origin
 Installation
GNOME Application Plat… …ome.Platform         3.28   x86_64 flathub system
user at host:~$ flatpak install gnucash
Looking for matches…
F: An error was encountered searching remote ‘GnuCash_Dev’ for ‘gnucash’:
Unable to load summary from remote GnuCash_Dev: GPG signatures found, but
none are in trusted keyring
Found similar ref(s) for ‘gnucash’ in remote ‘flathub’ (system).
Use this remote? [Y/n]:
Found ref ‘app/org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable’ in remote ‘flathub’
(system).
Use this ref? [Y/n]:
Required runtime for org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable
(runtime/org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.32) found in remote flathub
Do you want to install it? [Y/n]:

org.gnucash.GnuCash permissions:
    ipc                   network               wayland       x11
    file access [1]       dbus access [2]

    [1] home, xdg-run/dconf, ~/.config/dconf:ro
    [2] ca.desrt.dconf

        ID                                    Arch   Branch Remote  Download
 1. [✓] org.gnome.Platform                    x86_64 3.32   flathub
317.1 MB / 373.2 MB
 2. [✓] org.gnome.Platform.Locale             x86_64 3.32   flathub
 17.4 kB / 319.9 MB
 3. [✓] org.gtk.Gtk3theme.Yaru                x86_64 3.22   flathub
146.5 kB / 145.2 kB
 4. [✓] org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel  x86_64 18.08  flathub
1.8 MB / 1.8 MB
 5. [✓] org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codecs x86_64 18.08  flathub
3.2 MB / 3.3 MB
 6. [✓] org.gnucash.GnuCash                   x86_64 stable flathub
 26.9 MB / 27.0 MB
 7. [✓] org.gnucash.GnuCash.Locale            x86_64 stable flathub
4.4 kB / 7.4 MB

Installation complete.
user at host:~$ flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash
ldconfig: /app/lib/libguile-2.2.so.1.3.0-gdb.scm is not an ELF file - it
has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

[the app seemed to launch and quit just fine]

user at host:~$

-----