[GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sun Aug 18 04:27:43 EDT 2019

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for experimenting with this. I'll comment in between.

Op zaterdag 17 augustus 2019 22:22:03 CEST schreef Tommy Trussell:
> Based on this discussion I decided to try the flatpak on a Ubuntu Disco
> 19.04 system. (The work system with my critical GnuCash data is Ubuntu
> Bionic 18.04 LTS.) I haven't done any testing with real data, but I found
> it easy to install. Apparently the flatpak found a GnuCash test data file
> somewhere on my system.
>
> 1) I didn't need sudo to install gnucash; flatpak ran just fine as a normal
> user. I'm not sure if I will run into a limitation. I tried changing a few
> preferences and they seemed to persist across several launches. The version
> that just installed reports as "Version: 3.6   Build ID: 3.6+(2019-06-29)"

Sudo is only needed on systems where polkit is not properly configured to
allow flatpak manipulations. I think modern systems like Fedora 29 or Ubuntu
18.04 and up don't need sudo any more (unless perhaps for the flatpak override
command which alters sandbox permissions).

> 2) When I installed, I got an error message "F: An error was encountered
> searching remote ‘GnuCash_Dev’ for ‘gnucash’: Unable to load summary from
> remote GnuCash_Dev: GPG signatures found, but none are in trusted keyring."
>
> I'm not sure where it's expecting a GnuCash_Dev: GPG key. It didn't STOP me
> from installing, just complained.

I am still struggling with this bit myself. I assume the GnuCash_Dev remote is
gnucash' nightly build service. I'm seeing similar errors here, so this needs
more investigation.

Do you remember how you installed the GnuCash_Dev remote ?
You could try and import the GPG key that's on
https://code.gnucash.org/builds/flatpak/gnucash-flatpak.gpg
And see if the install error would go away.

> 3) I got some sort of ldconfig error after launching the first few times.
> (see below)

Yes, I'm seeing this as well. No idea where that comes from.

> 4) The ldconfig error disappeared after I deleted the old test data file
> that was on my system and I took GnuCash through a new account creation.
> The new file opens without any messages on the console.

That's a surprising twist...

> Here are the commands I used and the terminal output:
>
> user at host:~$ flatpak list
> Description             Application   Version Branch Arch   Origin
>  Installation
> GNOME Application Plat… …ome.Platform         3.28   x86_64 flathub system
> user at host:~$ flatpak install gnucash
> Looking for matches…
> F: An error was encountered searching remote ‘GnuCash_Dev’ for ‘gnucash’:
> Unable to load summary from remote GnuCash_Dev: GPG signatures found, but
> none are in trusted keyring
> Found similar ref(s) for ‘gnucash’ in remote ‘flathub’ (system).
> Use this remote? [Y/n]:

So what happens here is that flatpak won't trust GnuCash_Dev due to the
missing GPG gkey and instead will search for gnucash in the other available
remotes. As flathub also has a gnucash package, it offers to install that one.
Note that if GnuCash_Dev had worked you would have been presented with a list
of package options to choose from.

Regards,

Geert