[GNC] Gnucash crashes after upgrade

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 15:34:50 EDT 2019

Simply grabbing the the current package in the Ubuntu repo might not be
adequate to reconnect the configuration files.  You may need to decide
whether you want that package or the recently available flatpak or perhaps
stay with 2.6.21, depending on you particular usage preferences.

In all of those cases refer to the FAQ to find out where to look for those
configuration files and how to put things back together.  The exception is
the flatpak, which is again different from other installs.  I think that is
in a state of flux as Flatpak is still a new entity and not well documented
on the GnuCash website yet.

Others here probably have more detailed information.

David Carlson

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 2:04 PM Brian M. Sutin <gnucash3 at skewray.com> wrote:

> Ubuntu is now up to 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish." Apparently Ubuntu doesn't
> make much effort to get the most recent Gnucash.
>
> I am still thinking that way-back-when Gnucash copied my files config
> stupid, and having a more recent version try again may solve the problem.
>
> --
>   Brian M. Sutin
>   gnucash3 at skewray.com
>

> On Sat, Aug 24, 2019, at 11:46 AM, David Carlson wrote:
>
> You mentioned that Ubuntu upgraded a few times.  Does that mean that you
> are no longer on release 16.04?
> That release is very stale today.
> If not 16.04, what release are you on?
>
> There is currently a flatpak release of GnuCash 3.6 available, but it has
> limitations that makes it unsuited for some users.
>
> Release 3.7 should be coming out next month, but how and when it will be
> available for whichever Linux version you are running now may be later.
>
> David Carlson
>

> On Sat, Aug 24, 2019, 1:20 PM <gnucash3 at skewray.com> wrote:
>
> A year or two ago I was running Ubuntu 16.10. When I upgraded to the next
> Ubuntu version, Gnucash did some moving and reformatting of my config
> files.
> When I ran Gnucash, it would hang up inside any register and crash.  I
> 'solved'
> the problem by running 2.6.12 in Virtualbox on Ubuntu 16.04, which is what
> I've
> been doing ever since.  Ubuntu has upgraded a few times, and the issue
> persists.  The current version that still doesn't work is Gnucash 3.4.
>
> Is this a known issue? Is ther a previous thread in this list that
> addresses
> this?  If not, how would I go about starting to debug the issue?
>
> Places where config files seem to be:
>     .config/gnucash
>     .gconf/apps/gnucash
>     .gnucash/books/Gnucash
>     .local/share/gnucash/books
> I don't know which of these is from before the conversion and which are
> new.
> The problem might also be in a library, I guess.

David Carlson