[GNC] Gnucash crashes after upgrade

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Sat Aug 24 17:17:42 EDT 2019

Ubuntu 19.04 is out and that is what I have.

Go to this folder on my Google drive:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j58hHK_2lAKyNhlC4ZNoSNCfuI5Dqc7R
It will have .deb files for v3.4 and v3.5 compiled on Ubuntu 18.10.
I've heard they work well with 18.04 also.

I have v 3.5 and v3.6 compiled under 19.04 at this location:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-7R0nd6SjgPGNLkdcL_t503KbhLnKVW0

Sorry, I've been too busy with summer projects to get the PPA up and
working.

--Steve

On 8/24/19 12:02 PM, Brian M. Sutin wrote:
> Ubuntu is now up to 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish." Apparently Ubuntu doesn't make much effort to get the most recent Gnucash.
>
> I am still thinking that way-back-when Gnucash copied my files config stupid, and having a more recent version try again may solve the problem.
>
> --
>  Brian M. Sutin
>  gnucash3 at skewray.com
>

> On Sat, Aug 24, 2019, at 11:46 AM, David Carlson wrote:
>> You mentioned that Ubuntu upgraded a few times. Does that mean that you are no longer on release 16.04?
>> That release is very stale today.
>> If not 16.04, what release are you on?
>>
>> There is currently a flatpak release of GnuCash 3.6 available, but it has limitations that makes it unsuited for some users.
>>
>> Release 3.7 should be coming out next month, but how and when it will be available for whichever Linux version you are running now may be later.
>>
>> David Carlson
>>

>> On Sat, Aug 24, 2019, 1:20 PM <gnucash3 at skewray.com> wrote:
>>> A year or two ago I was running Ubuntu 16.10. When I upgraded to the next
>>>  Ubuntu version, Gnucash did some moving and reformatting of my config files.
>>>  When I ran Gnucash, it would hang up inside any register and crash. I 'solved'
>>>  the problem by running 2.6.12 in Virtualbox on Ubuntu 16.04, which is what I've
>>>  been doing ever since. Ubuntu has upgraded a few times, and the issue
>>>  persists. The current version that still doesn't work is Gnucash 3.4.
>>>
>>>  Is this a known issue? Is ther a previous thread in this list that addresses
>>>  this? If not, how would I go about starting to debug the issue?
>>>
>>>  Places where config files seem to be:
>>>  .config/gnucash
>>>  .gconf/apps/gnucash
>>>  .gnucash/books/Gnucash
>>>  .local/share/gnucash/books
>>>  I don't know which of these is from before the conversion and which are new.
>>>  The problem might also be in a library, I guess.

>>>  Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>>  You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
kg7je at arrl.net
253-350-0166