[GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Dec 19 15:15:39 EST 2019

Rich,

You should be able to take one of several options:

1) Right click the split for the cash-back and choose ‘Delete Split’
2) Click in the first cell of the cash-back split, highlight the contents (likely the memo is the first cell with info) and click the delete key on your keyboard. Then tab to enter the next field with everything selected, hit the delete key again, repeat until you’ve tabbed to the end and then on to the next empty split. The cash-back split line will have been removed.
3) Select the cash-back split and use the menu option in Transactions > Delete split (same as the right-click option)

Then commit the transaction and it should no longer show as a split transaction. (technically *all* transactions are split, between at least 2 accounts. I think the terminology could use some improvement, but I’m not sure what would be the best wording)

You can also choose instead to select the debit card split and choose (either in the right-click menu or the Transactions menu) to ‘Remove other splits’. This will leave you with needing to enter the groceries split again. (or some other account as needed) This is very useful when you have a long list of splits to get rid of. Note, you can’t delete the first instance of a split assigned to the current register as that is what anchors it to that account. (but you can remove any split from the General Journal because it doesn’t have a specific account anchor)

In the future, you can also find a previous transaction of the form you want (with or without the cash-back split), right-click (or use the Transactions menu) and choose ‘Duplicate Transaction’. (You have to be on the main transaction line, I believe to see this)

This will exactly duplicate that transaction for you on the date you specify in the pop-up. You will then be dropped into the transaction for editing where you can update the amounts as needed.

Regards,
Adrien