[GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

Jamestk davidjamestk at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Feb 1 14:39:14 EST 2019

Agreed, it does seem odd, one other thought relates to am intense period of
data entry associated with stocks. At the time this feature was under
development needing quite a lot of 'scrubbing' of lots, I ended up with
masses of entries which later became obsolete.

I am always reluctant to delete accounts in case there is a knock-on effect
somewhere else.

Computer spec is nothing fantastic, 32G RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64bit with
Samsung SSD, there's no paging to disk and given we are only talking about a
15mb file would be surprised if that happened.

A few years ago when starting out with GNC I ran both versions on
Linux/Windows, Linux was a lot smoother and quicker to load - that was in
the early days so no idea how it would perform now.

Cheers,

"Robert Kesterson">
How is your system memory?  GnuCash loads all the data in memory (even if
you use the SQL backend) so it needs some room to breathe.  I have easily
ten years of data in my file (and I categorize and track everything at a
level that few people would, so I have *lots* of splits), and I don’t
experience the slowness or scrolling issues that you mention.  But then I
have 32 GB of memory.  The problems you describe sound like what I would
expect of memory was low and the system was using swap space a lot.