[GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

Robert Kesterson robertk at robertk.com
Fri Feb 1 07:11:46 EST 2019

How is your system memory?  GnuCash loads all the data in memory (even if you use the SQL backend) so it needs some room to breathe.  I have easily ten years of data in my file (and I categorize and track everything at a level that few people would, so I have *lots* of splits), and I don’t experience the slowness or scrolling issues that you mention.  But then I have 32 GB of memory.  The problems you describe sound like what I would expect of memory was low and the system was using swap space a lot.

> On Feb 1, 2019, at 2:34 AM, Jamestk <davidjamestk at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Thanks, there are other small issues creeping in which makes me think the
> program is becoming unstable.
>
> Example, when browsing the account tree menu the cursor hangs then jumps
> after a delay to where you are pointing, this only happens when there is a
> data file loaded.
>
> When reconciling an account if auto save starts then it can really take an
> age, i don't tend to time this as go and do something else in between.
>
> I generally don't run full ledgers either but selected 'all accounts'' by
> mistake while editing options.
>
> My guess is the core code is designed for Linux, porting across to Windows
> may not be ideal?
>

> Jeff Abrahamson wrote
>> I've been doing reports with python scripts (not an officially supported
>> technique, also requires the backend be sqlite, which is easy).  My
>> reports run in a snap.  That said, maybe I have less data than you.
>>
>> Jeff Abrahamson
>> http://p27.eu/jeff/
>> http://transport-nantes.com/
>>
>>> On 01/02/2019 09:07, Jamestk wrote:
>>> *First of all thank you to all of the contributors, devs who have
>>> volunteered
>>> to make GNUCash freely available.  *
>>>
>>> That said, I do need to ask if any improvements are likely on the speed
>>> front. Basic reports take 1 - 2 minutes to run, larger ledger reports up
>>> 15 minutes. I have tried all of the tweaks mentioned on here but with