[GNC] How to handle bounced check

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 2 03:37:02 EST 2019

On 02/02/2019 04:24, Mike Alexander wrote:
> A few weeks ago I received a check in payment for an invoice I had sent to a customer.  I recorded the payment and deposited the check.  A couple of weeks later I got notice from my bank that the check had bounced.  My question is how to record this.  I want to “unpay” the invoice and charge the amount back to the customer, but I can’t find a good way to do this.
>
> I tried entering a transaction to debit Accounts Receivable and credit the bank account after which I manually added the split in A/R to the lot for that invoice.

my opinion is you are overthinking this

 >This sort of worked, but the invoice is still marked paid in the
customer report.  I can, however, select it in the “Process Payment”
dialog to pay it again and it shows up as unpaid in the receivables
aging report.  Can I do better than this?

The accounting is ordinary, the customer owes you the money from the
original date.

The invoice, payment, bounce sequence is a record of events.  I think
this should show in your accounts, other people think it shouldn't,
dunno why, it is a reflection of the person that didn't pay, not you.

Ordinary solution?  Make a new invoice and let the person know you
expect it to be paid.

--
Wm