[GNC] Multi currency income

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 11:19:11 EST 2019

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 2:44 AM JB <iulyb at buliga.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using gnu-cash 2.6.12 on ubuntu. I used it for more that 5 years.
>
> I think it was updated at some point this year and since them multi
> currency feature does not work as it use to be.

Comparing the version information you posted to
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Ubuntu  -- you're probably running Ubuntu
16.04 "Xenial" LTS. There haven't been any updates to GnuCash for Ubuntu
Xenial since it was released in 2016. You CAN install more recent versions
of GnuCash for your system, but it sounds like you haven't.

> For a check for 100 USD I use to enter the next transaction(s):
>
> 100 USD went on `Shareholder US account` denominated in US dollars  was
> debited against `Shareholder account` nominated in CAD .
> At that point the rate dialogue popped out and I enter the rate for that
> day according to national bank of Canada and hit ok.
> The reflected amount was into the shareholder account  ( 130 CAD )
>
> For the same 100 USD entry I had a second transaction to credit the
> `Income account` denominated in CAD. The same amount (130) was calculated.
>
> At the end the US account ends with a balance of 0 but it reflects the
> fact that the income was in US dollars and deposited in my personal
> account.
>
> This was the way of working for the last 5 years or so, however now I
> get at least 3 more transactions, 2 more trading accounts has been
> created (CAD and USD)  and there is no way to make it to calculate the
> Canadian amount.
>
> Another issue if I calculate the CAD amount I allways have some
> remaining into the Imbalance account.
>
> Any idea what happened or how am I suppose to do the same thing now?

I don't use the currency trading, but if you're seeing entries in the
imbalance account, then you should look for how those got created.
Somewhere you specified amounts that don't add up -- very easy to do in
currency exchange! You'll want to look for things like currency exchange
fees, and also be aware that a bank isn't likely to give an individual
depositor its best rate on an exchange. So don't assume whatever rate you
saw quoted is the rate you actually got that day. I would suggest you might
enter the actual amounts on the statements and let GnuCash calculate the
exchange rate.

-----