[GNC] postpone reconciliation broken: ignores my changes

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Feb 8 10:33:25 EST 2019

> On Feb 8, 2019, at 2:02 AM, Michael Hendry <hendry.michael at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 8 Feb 2019, at 09:25, David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> I know that on my Mac, it takes some time for gnucash to actually finish the save process.  Mine is a somewhat older macbook pro with an SSD. Is it possible that you failed to wait for it to finish saving?
>>
>> David T.
>
> That’s what I was implying, although I would be surprised if Gnucash didn’t have a means of preventing itself from being shut down while busy doing a file save.
>
> In any case, the orderly shutting down of the program (i.e. not involving a crash) should have included the deletion of the lock file even if it had abandoned the “Save”.

Remember, I said "normal" isn't necessarily normal for the rest of us. It doesn't necessarily mean that GnuCash got to do an orderly shutdown. The most obvious reason is a force quit where the operating system just removes the process and reclaims its memory. GnuCash doesn't have a chance to respond--no NSAppWillTerminate notification--and if there's a save in process it's likely that the file will be trashed. The application itself or one of its dependencies can call exit() after detecting an error and that will stop everything, no questions asked. GnuCash itself doesn't have any code like that but Glib does. I think Gtk does. There are probably others, those are the only two dependencies the internals of which I have some familiarity.

Regards,
John Ralls