[GNC] Changing account numbers?

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 16:01:12 EST 2019

Dan,

Some financial institutions separate the account number from the card
number so this issue does not come up.

It is fortunate,in a way, that your bank did it that way instead.  It makes
it a pain but relatively easy to fix in Gnucash.  I would enter a dummy
transaction in that register noting the date, old account number and new
account number, just for future reference when the details are getting
fuzzy in your memory.
Now create a backup of your data file and a new copy as well.  Open the
copy.
On the next OFX import GnuCash will ask you if you want use an existing
account or to create a new account.  Say yes to new account and let it
import the transactions, save the file.  Then delete the newly created
account.  You can either delete the transactions because you will import
them again in the next step, or you can let Gnucash move them to the old
account.

Repeat the OFX import.  Now, with no account matching the new account
number GnuCash will again ask whether to use an existing account or to
create a new account.  Now it is possible to match the old existing account
to the new OFX account number.  Complete importing the transactions.

Once you are happy with the results you can save the data file as your main
file so you do not use the copy again.

David Carlson