[GNC] Memorized Transaction List

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Feb 22 08:40:14 EST 2019

David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> writes:

> IIRC, the qif importer is (or was, in the 2.6.x series) somewhat clunky
> when it came upon an unknown 'other' account or category.  It may have
> needed a nudge to place it correctly into the account tree.  I don't think
> it dumped everything into some imbalance file without giving the user a
> chance make a better choice.  Fo me, I last used that feature about a
> decade ago, so I could be wrong.

The QIF import did lazy account creation -- it would only touch your
actual account tree at the end, after you click "Finish".   The Generic
Importer, however, will make account modifications enroute, including
creating new accounts.

For QIF, new accounts wont get properly mapped into the tree, so you
either need to pre-create the gnucash account and map it in the
importer, or you need to modify the QIF to read, e.g.:

LExpenses:Groceries

instead of:

LGroceries

to properly place it in the tree.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745