[GNC] Business Feature Question

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Feb 27 15:11:06 EST 2019

Not sure you really need to use invoices and customers here, but if it works...

Are these recurring grants from the same sources for the same purposes? It might make more sense then. I just don’t see it for one-offs.

My understanding of ‘jobs’ per previous list discussion is that ‘job’ is probably the wrong term. It’s more like a ‘purchase order’ which aggregates line items ordered from a vendor. Because of this, I never was able to use the feature so I’m not sure how ‘chargebacks’ work. If anything, I’d think charging items from a vendor to a customer would be possible, but not the other way around.

You can have the same ‘job title' for both a customer and a vendor, but if I recall correctly, they are two separate jobs and are not linked to each other.

Derek, who wrote the feature, explained it to me in this thread: https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2018-August/079310.html. (start there, total of about 4-5 messages, I don’t think I got around to filing that bug report for renaming, will have to check)

As an answer to the second question, and possibly address the first at the same time, I’d say it might be simpler to use the Notes or split Memos to ‘categorize’ your expenses per grant. Which you use, would depend on if a single transaction applies to one grant or might apply to multiple grants.

I can see though how using virtual sub-accounts of checking might be useful for running reports, but again, this would be part of the tree to maintain that might not be necessary since you can filter a transaction report on Notes and Memos.

On the last question, I do this frequently for various reasons. I always edit from the account the money is coming from/going to (never within the A/P or A/R registers themselves), usually the cash account in my case, and *avoid* editing any split in the transaction with ‘payment’ in the Action field as this is what is keyed for the business features. If you need to edit one of those splits, then edit the payment via the right-click context menu. (I say avoid because on a few rare occasions of trying to fix a lot mess in one of those accounts, I did edit them, though in hind-sight I could have managed with the ‘Edit payment’ function as well)

Regards,
Adrien