[GNC] Balance Sheet Report keeps listing all my individual stocks

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Tue Jan 1 11:21:16 EST 2019

On 1/1/2019 10:32 AM, Stephen Knapp via gnucash-user wrote:
> Hello. I am having a problem that all my individual stocks are showing up in my Balance Sheet report. I have a hierarchy with INVESTMENTS (Asset): BROKER ACCOUNT(Asset): COMPANY A (Stock), COMPANY (Stock), etc. I have tried all different combinations of hierarchies and the Levels of Subaccounts settings, but the report keeps putting all the individual stocks in the report, versus the sought after investment total.
> Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not SURE about your question, it seems to have more than one part,
so pardon my guessing.

a) You want to see a total for "INVESTMENTS" (and you aren't)
      This has to do with the subtotaling options you have selected via
Edit=>Report Options. You can choose things like whether you want to see
totals for parent accounts, and if so, before or after, etc.

HINT: If new to gnucash, or even experienced with gnucash but new to a
particular report, the first thing you should do is run the report as
"test" immediately entering Report Options to find out all the options
you have for that report.

b) You have a hierarchy Assets:Investments:Broker Account:(Company A,
Company B, ....)  That would be four levels of nesting. Are you saying
that when you set the Balance Sheet nesting level to 3 (Report Options
again) you still saw the individual stocks?

Michael D Novack