[GNC] Tutorial for moving stock between accounts?

Jon Leech oddhack at sonic.net
Wed Jan 2 08:58:58 EST 2019

On Wed, Jan 02, 2019 at 05:38:13PM +0530, D wrote:
> Jon,
>
> I can't test this right now, since I'm not at my machine...
>
> Try this:
>
> Open your source account.
>
> Move to the entry point in the register.
>
> Click the 'Split' button. Enter your description.
>
> Tab to the Shares field in the first split and type -13.
>
> Tab to the price field and type 0.
>
> Now, use **tab** to move to the Transfer field on the second line, set it to your destination account and tab to shares and type 13.
>
> Does that work?

    Thanks! This works, for the most part. The share counts in source
and destination accounts are altered correctly, which is enough to let
me do what I need. It does set a Price of 1 for the second line and a
Tot Buy of 13.00, and then creates a new Imbalance line in the split
with a Tot Sell of 13.00.

    I cannot change the Price to 0 on the second line, unlike the first.
Trying it results in it immediately being restored to 1, so the
Imbalance seems unavoidable. I can set the Price to a non-zero number
and make gnucash recalculate the Tot Buy / Imbalance fields, but that
seems pointless, since there is no actual Price or cash associated with
this transaction.

    Jon