[GNC] Tutorial for moving stock between accounts?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 01:59:13 EST 2019

Well, now that you have it mostly right, maybe go in to the second account register and see whether you can change the second split price to zero from there, using the same tabbing technique.

  On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 12:23, Jon Leech<oddhack at sonic.net> wrote:   On Wed, Jan 02, 2019 at 05:38:13PM +0530, D wrote:
> Jon,
>
> I can't test this right now, since I'm not at my machine...
>
> Try this:
>
> Open your source account.
>
> Move to the entry point in the register.
>
> Click the 'Split' button. Enter your description.
>
> Tab to the Shares field in the first split and type -13.
>
> Tab to the price field and type 0.
>
> Now, use **tab** to move to the Transfer field on the second line, set it to your destination account and tab to shares and type 13.
>
> Does that work?

    Thanks! This works, for the most part. The share counts in source
and destination accounts are altered correctly, which is enough to let
me do what I need. It does set a Price of 1 for the second line and a
Tot Buy of 13.00, and then creates a new Imbalance line in the split
with a Tot Sell of 13.00.

    I cannot change the Price to 0 on the second line, unlike the first.
Trying it results in it immediately being restored to 1, so the
Imbalance seems unavoidable. I can set the Price to a non-zero number
and make gnucash recalculate the Tot Buy / Imbalance fields, but that
seems pointless, since there is no actual Price or cash associated with
this transaction.

    Jon
-----