[GNC] Line entry creates incorrect balance

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 23:30:48 EST 2019

Ted,

This is my initial advice to a new user:

First skim through the Help manual up to chapter 6

https://www.gnucash.org/docs.phtml

Then start GnuCash following the instructions in chapter 3 and create a
test file with a minimal set of accounts.  You should consider it to be a
throw-away test, so name it as such and save it in some sub-directory off
of your home page.

There are a couple of videos available on U-Tube that you may find helpful,
even tho they are rather out of date, very little has changed in the basic
program and they should be easy to follow.

There are a couple of preferences that should be set before going further.
While you have your first bank account register in view select View > Auto
Split Ledger and View > Double Line.  You can change those later but start
there to have a view that you can relate to the examples that you will
encounter later in the Help Manual.
Also check View > Sort by > and set it to Standard Order.

Then the highlight will show the selected transaction with two yellow lines
at the top.  When you start entering a new transaction the curser starts in
the yellow highlight and as you tab from box to box you eventually move the
yellow highlight into the next line where you can enter memo, the
Asset:bank account, then Deposit or Withdrawal amount.  Tab again to enter
another memo, then the transfer Expense:Account or Income:Account and the
opposite value will automatically appear.  When you press Enter the lines
may swap so the first line is always on the left or deposit side and the
second line is on the right or Withdrawal side.

Enter several sample transactions. Since you are in a bank account register
your deposits should increase the balance and withdrawals decrease the
balance.  If you get one backwards, just highlight the value, then left
arrow > minus, tab to the other value and again left arrow > minus, Enter.

When you enter another transaction the yellow highlight is at the top and
it shows the value that, when added to the Balance in the transaction
above, results in the new Balance.

If not, be prepared to tell us what version of GnuCash you installed into
what operating system and exactly what steps you followed to get to a
result that does not add up.

Good Luck,

David C