[GNC] Car loan with downpayment using a credit card

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Sat Jan 5 05:50:11 EST 2019

On Saturday, 5 January 2019 00:34:59 GMT Taymour A. El Erian wrote:
> > Message: 5
> > Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2019 19:59:55 -0600
> > From: Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net>
> > To: Gnucash Users <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
> > Subject: Re: [GNC] Car loan with downpayment using a credit card
> >
> > When you imported transactions, were the downpayment(s) not part of that
> > download?
> >
> > If so, how were they assigned on the other end of the transaction at
> > import?
> >
> > Something that might help, if you aren?t already using it, is to turn on
> > Transaction Journal view in the View menu. You can also set this as a
> > default setting from Preferences. This will show you all splits in all
> > transactions at all times. One split will always be for the current
> > account
> > register you are viewing, the others will be for the other side(s) of the
> > transaction.
> >
> > For each downpayment, you should have something similar to:
> >
> > Cr.     Assets:Checking OR Liabilities:Credit Card
> > Dr.     Liabilities:Car Loan
> >
> > Thus the three credit card payments would offset the Car Loan liability
> > with increases (credits) to the respective Credit Card liabilities, and
> > the
> > Cheque would reflect a decrease (credit) in your checking account.
> >
> > Hope that helps.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Adrien
> >

> > All the downpayments were part of the download, when I imported them I put
>
> them in Liabilities:CC. All CC settlements were matched to Assets:Checking
> account and all that was before I added the loan and the car as an asset
> Now all down payments made on the CC show under Liabilities:Car loan so
> offsetting the car loan correctly but that is not the problem. The problem
> is the car as Assets:Car. I put the total car selling price as an Asset and
> I want to show the down payment but right now all CC payments show in
> Liabilities and my Assets:checking is decreasing by the bulk amount of CC
> settlement.

Hi,

If you've put the downpayments from the CC against Liab:CarLoan, then the
initial opening balance of the Loan should be for the full value of the car.

therefore the opening loan transaction should be to increase the asset account
by the full value of the car.

alternatively, re-book the CC transactions to Assets:Car, if the loan was only
ever for part of the total value of the car.

HTH,
Maf.