[GNC] Car loan with downpayment using a credit card

Taymour A. El Erian telerian at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 19:34:59 EST 2019

> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2019 19:59:55 -0600
> From: Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net>
> To: Gnucash Users <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
> Subject: Re: [GNC] Car loan with downpayment using a credit card
>
> When you imported transactions, were the downpayment(s) not part of that
> download?
>
> If so, how were they assigned on the other end of the transaction at
> import?
>
> Something that might help, if you aren?t already using it, is to turn on
> Transaction Journal view in the View menu. You can also set this as a
> default setting from Preferences. This will show you all splits in all
> transactions at all times. One split will always be for the current account
> register you are viewing, the others will be for the other side(s) of the
> transaction.
>
> For each downpayment, you should have something similar to:
>
> Cr.     Assets:Checking OR Liabilities:Credit Card
> Dr.     Liabilities:Car Loan
>
> Thus the three credit card payments would offset the Car Loan liability
> with increases (credits) to the respective Credit Card liabilities, and the
> Cheque would reflect a decrease (credit) in your checking account.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>

> All the downpayments were part of the download, when I imported them I put
them in Liabilities:CC. All CC settlements were matched to Assets:Checking
account and all that was before I added the loan and the car as an asset
Now all down payments made on the CC show under Liabilities:Car loan so
offsetting the car loan correctly but that is not the problem. The problem
is the car as Assets:Car. I put the total car selling price as an Asset and
I want to show the down payment but right now all CC payments show in
Liabilities and my Assets:checking is decreasing by the bulk amount of CC
settlement.