[GNC] Tracking Reimbursable Medical Expenses

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Sat Jan 5 23:11:15 EST 2019

On 1/5/19 7:51 PM, David Cousens wrote:
> Aaron
>
> Asset:HSA is your savings fund. The payment of money into that account is
> exactly as you priginally proposed.
>
> The 4 way split
>> Asset:Medical Reimbursable             $5
>> Liability:Credit Card                                     $5
>> Expenses:Medical                            $5
>> Asset:HSA                                                  $5
> records 2 simultaneous events. It makes a bit more sense when you consider
> the two events separately
>
> Firstly your payment of the medical expense with your credit card
> :
>  Expenses:Medical                            $5
>  Liability:Credit Card                                     $5
>
> and the creation of an obligation to reimburse the expenditure to your bank
> account from your HSA account:
>
> Asset:Medical Reimbursable             $5                  this account
> tracks what you have to reimburse to your bank account
> Asset:HSA                                                  $5
>
> And when you actually reimbuse money
>
>> Asset:Bank                                        $5
>> Asset:MedicalReimbursable                       $5
> If the balance of Asset:MedicalReimbursable is not 0 then you have expenses
> you have incurred but not reimbursed from the HSA.  This is exactly the same
> as the way  Asset:Account Receivable works when you extend credit to a
> customer in a business environment with the business features. In this case
> the HSA is effectively the customer, who owes you money.
>

> David

Thanks David.  I was pulling out a blank sheet and scribbling T accounts
all over it.  I managed to follow by breaking each pair of lines into
numbered transactions to the various T accounts.

I was trying to pair the Medical Expense up with the Liability account
and was stymied that that point.  This approach broke the logjam.
Hopefully the OP follows also.

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM