[GNC] Deb 3.4.0.1 not working for me in ubuntu 18.04

DaveW wasserland44 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 18:41:14 EST 2019

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 07:31:47 +0000
Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to clarify a bit, after installing you have to tell the update
> manager not to replace it with the original version again, as
> described in that thread,
>
> Colin
>
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 at 00:04, Stephen M. Butler <kg7je at arrl.net> wrote:
> >
> > On 1/6/19 3:40 PM, DaveW wrote:
> > > Ubuntu 18.04.  I am hoping to upgrade from GNC 3.2 to 3.4.
> > >
> > > The 3.4.0.1 Deb recently announced bombs out.
> > > That is to say it appears to be installing via the Software
> > > Centre. >> Gets 100% installed. >> Offers to "Launch"(or "Remove")
> > > Press "Launch" and it generates a "New Software Available"
> > > message.
> > > Software Updater shows Gnucash available.  When run it loads
> > > version 2.16.x Gnucash.
> > >
> > > Need some guidance please.
> > >
> > > Dave W
> >

> > This thread
> > https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2019-January/081700.html

> > > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> > > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> > > ----- Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> > >

> > --
> > Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
> > Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
> > kg7je at arrl.net
> > 253-350-0166
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> > ----- Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.

Thank you Stephen and Colin,

I am going around and around.  I am a little confused as to whether the
instructions in the above thread apply to 18.04 or 18.10??
Nevertheless, I followed the commands line by line,  (Although I
note that when it gets to the: "libboost-locale1.65.1
libboost-regex1.65.1" line it say it does not recognise the command.)
However, I always land up where I started.  I should note here that
Synaptic sees the 3.4 version but it's greyed out and there is an !
mark.

Here's some additional information which may point to my dilemma:-

I have available in my Software Centre 2 versions of Gnucash:
	1. ver 1.2.6.19-1.
	2. ver Version: 3.2 Build ID: 3.2+ (2018-06-24).  I notice that
	the source is dl.flathub.org.  Futhermore, I discover, in my
	frenzy, that Synaptic does not see this version - even though
	it is installed?  So I guess "flathub" is outside the Ubuntu
	relm? It seems to work okay, although I have not thoroughly
	tested it.
I discover that I can install each of the above versions and they can
run independently.

All of that said, I simply want to install the latest version and keep
the system and myself happy.

Dave W