[GNC] Deb 3.4.0.1 not working for me in ubuntu 18.04

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Jan 8 00:11:58 EST 2019

> On Jan 7, 2019, at 5:41 PM, DaveW <wasserland44 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you Stephen and Colin,
>
> I am going around and around.  I am a little confused as to whether the
> instructions in the above thread apply to 18.04 or 18.10??
> Nevertheless, I followed the commands line by line,  (Although I
> note that when it gets to the: "libboost-locale1.65.1
> libboost-regex1.65.1" line it say it does not recognise the command.)
> However, I always land up where I started.  I should note here that
> Synaptic sees the 3.4 version but it's greyed out and there is an !
> mark.

18.04, I’ve tested them on 18.10, but there is a larger dependency mess.

> Here's some additional information which may point to my dilemma:-
>
> I have available in my Software Centre 2 versions of Gnucash:
> 	1. ver 1.2.6.19-1.
> 	2. ver Version: 3.2 Build ID: 3.2+ (2018-06-24).  I notice that
> 	the source is dl.flathub.org.  Futhermore, I discover, in my
> 	frenzy, that Synaptic does not see this version - even though
> 	it is installed?  So I guess "flathub" is outside the Ubuntu
> 	relm? It seems to work okay, although I have not thoroughly
> 	tested it.
> I discover that I can install each of the above versions and they can
> run independently.

Flatpaks are installed via a separate system. See here: https://flatpak.org/setup/Ubuntu/

You can then search for and install via flathub.org, or cli with ‘flatpak install’

If I recall correctly, one of the devs now officially maintains the flatpak of GnuCash. Unfortunately, flathub.org does not say which version is available, though I’d suspect the cli search feature to report it correctly.

> All of that said, I simply want to install the latest version and keep
> the system and myself happy.

For that I’ve always built from source, but that was before the flatpak and now this .deb file were available.

Regards,
Adrien