[GNC] Deb 3.4.0.1 not working for me in ubuntu 18.04

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Tue Jan 8 12:48:41 EST 2019

On 1/7/19 9:11 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>> On Jan 7, 2019, at 5:41 PM, DaveW <wasserland44 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you Stephen and Colin,
>>
>> I am going around and around.  I am a little confused as to whether the
>> instructions in the above thread apply to 18.04 or 18.10??
>> Nevertheless, I followed the commands line by line,  (Although I
>> note that when it gets to the: "libboost-locale1.65.1
>> libboost-regex1.65.1" line it say it does not recognise the command.)
Those should be part of:

/sudo apt install ........... /Looks like the line wrapping didn't convey the true meaning of what to do there.

Let me try to cleanup the commands (just 5 lines all beging with "sudo ")-- just in case line wrapping happens:

sudo apt remove gnucash

sudo apt autoremove

sudo dpkg -i Downloads/gnucash_3.4-0-1_amd64.deb

sudo apt install  libboost-filesystem1.65.1  libboost-date-time1.65.1 libboost-locale1.65.1  libboost-regex1.65.1

sudo apt-mark hold gnucash

//

>> However, I always land up where I started.  I should note here that
>> Synaptic sees the 3.4 version but it's greyed out and there is an !
>> mark.
> 18.04, I’ve tested them on 18.10, but there is a larger dependency mess.
>

>> Here's some additional information which may point to my dilemma:-
>>
>> I have available in my Software Centre 2 versions of Gnucash:
>> 	1. ver 1.2.6.19-1.
>> 	2. ver Version: 3.2 Build ID: 3.2+ (2018-06-24).  I notice that
>> 	the source is dl.flathub.org.  Futhermore, I discover, in my
>> 	frenzy, that Synaptic does not see this version - even though
>> 	it is installed?  So I guess "flathub" is outside the Ubuntu
>> 	relm? It seems to work okay, although I have not thoroughly
>> 	tested it.
>> I discover that I can install each of the above versions and they can
>> run independently.
> Flatpaks are installed via a separate system. See here: https://flatpak.org/setup/Ubuntu/
>
> You can then search for and install via flathub.org, or cli with ‘flatpak install’
>
> If I recall correctly, one of the devs now officially maintains the flatpak of GnuCash. Unfortunately, flathub.org does not say which version is available, though I’d suspect the cli search feature to report it correctly.
>

>> All of that said, I simply want to install the latest version and keep
>> the system and myself happy.
> For that I’ve always built from source, but that was before the flatpak and now this .deb file were available.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> Dave W

I am trying to get a better deb via Launchpad were we can put up a ppa
for folks to point to.  Probably name it "gnucash-daily", although I
don't see it changing daily but as commits are made to the maint branch.

However, I am having problems with one of the tools (pbuilder-dest) and
have a query out in the Ubuntu Forums for input.  Nothing back when I
checked a minute ago.  I suspect I'm going to have to read the code
(shell script) for pbuild-dest and the debootstrap script it invokes
(also shell script).  The later complains that gpgv can't be found --
but I can invoke it just fine.  I am comfortable in ksh and hope that
transfers well to bsh.

Wish I had better news and was making progress to get something really
useful.  My research indicates the check-install is not up to the task
of dealing with multiple O/S version.