[GNC] Does CSV importer work with foreign currencies?

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Jan 10 05:44:10 EST 2019

Op donderdag 10 januari 2019 03:59:36 CET schreef D via gnucash-user:
> David,
>
> On January 10, 2019, at 4:01 AM, David Cousens <davidcousens at bigpond.com>
> wrote:
>

> <snip>
>
> >At the same time
> >david T was starting a reorganization of the concepts and tutorial guide.
>
> For the record, I am in favor of moving substantive content from Help to the
> Guide, which is what I think you're referring to here. I made an attempt to
> do this last year, but that set of changes has gotten stalled in the Git
> process.

Yes, that's partly on my account.

The wider context is that the restructuring works showed our current
documentation process makes it very hard for translators to keep translations
up to date. Each change of the original English language (be it simple
spelling or punctuation fixes or moving whole sections around) has to be
tracked manually by a translator which then has to evaluate whether or not the
translation needs updating as well.

This is tedious and error prone and I feel resistance to change from the
translators as a result.

So I am looking for ways to improve this. I have set up an experiment with a
different translation method. Instead of making independent documents per
language, this experiment sets up one master document and language tools will
extract translatable strings. This is similar to how translation of the
application works.
The advantage of this approach in my opinion is the tools used are specialized
in translation management, so they can take over some of the burden which
would otherwise be carried by the translator. Simply moving sections to
another part of the document won't require any work at all from a translator.
Only real textual changes would.
Unfortunately there are also trade-offs:
* the introduction of this tool means they have to be installed and commands
may have to be run before actual translation work can happen.
* by default the tools will copy untranslated content as plain English in the
translated document. Personally I prefer that over not having the information
at all, but different opinions on this exist so that would need more
discussion.
* the one-time conversion from the current state of one-document-set-per-
language to a one-master-document-set-with-translation-catalogs can't be fully
automated so it will take some effort to get there.

This experiment has stalled the last couple of months as other things got in
the way. I should pick it up as soon as I can and would like to receive
feedback from current translators or people interested in helping out with the
documentation translations.

Regards,

Geert