[GNC] Different jobs for vendor or customer?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Jan 11 01:45:38 EST 2019

In line with David’s suggestion, I highly recommend turning on Transaction Journal view and Double-Line mode if you aren’t using them already.

It takes up more real estate on your screen, but you are always seeing all info for a transaction. With this, you will see a note field just below the description. It is very useful in such cases for ‘purpose’ notes where the ‘description’ might be best suited for ‘payee’.

You can then run Find operations filtering on the notes field and create register reports from the result. (and possibly the transaction report can use this as well, I haven’t tested) If you need more analysis, you can then export or copy/paste the resulting report to a spreadsheet.

There is a thread or two explaining ‘jobs' very well from this past year. Do a search in the archives.

The feature is extremely limited. It was not designed to aggregate all transactions related to a job, but really to facilitate billing an entire vendor invoice to a customer. (best I recall) You can’t mark individual line items to different customers, for example. I do remember from the threads that the person who wrote the code for them acknowledged the term ‘jobs’ probably wasn’t the best choice in hindsight as everyone seems to think they are something other than they are. Specific to your question, while you can create a job for a vendor bill, that is a different job than you create for customers, even if they have the same name. (2 independent lists of jobs)

Regards,
Adrien