[GNC] Copy a month's budget

Andre Powell apowell656 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 07:24:32 EST 2019

Patrick,
The method that I use for budgeting is well "old-fashioned". My salary is
paid every fifteen days and my wife once a month, hence the two-week setup,
and the quarterly view because in my prior career we managed our P&Ls
monthly but with quarterly plans so mentally I am kind of used to that way
of thinking (or maybe I don't  want to scroll so much).

When income comes in is when I actually use the budget to plan where the
money is going to go (a mixture of Dave Ramsey and YNAB). I use the
Bills/Invoice feature to keep track of the bills that need to be paid, but
they don't get paid until they are planned for.

For monitoring purposes, I use the Budget Report to do exactly that. You
can set it up to see a period before and after your current account period
(mine being set at a quarter), which will show your carryover. I am always
striving for a balanced budget (move/spend less money to make sure that the
budget is balanced. But in theory, you could create a second report with a
longer view (perhaps yearly) to see your overall progress with the period
before.

I hope this helps.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 10:30 AM Patrick <plafratt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Andre,
>
> Thank you for the response. For each two-week period within the quarter,
> did you just have to copy the budget entries from each column to the next?
> That is what I would like to avoid, if possible.
>
> I would like to use one budget so that it is easy to see carryover from
> one budget period to the next. If I create a new budget for each quarter, I
> don't know of a way to get cumulative surplus/deficit for each budget
> category from the previous quarter.
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick
>
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 4:15 AM Andre Powell <apowell656 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Patrick,
>> I made a template and under the Budget menu just make a duplicate/copy as
>> needed (my accounting period is quarterly and the budgets are every two
>> weeks).
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 9, 2019, 10:34 PM Patrick <plafratt at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I recently started using GnuCash. Is there a way to copy one month's
>>> budget
>>> to the next month? I have a budget with a large number of entries, and
>>> copying each entry individually is somewhat cumbersome.
>>>
>>> Any help is appeciated.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Patrick
>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.